Monday, June 22, 2009

Smells of Summer & Grandma's House


They say that the sense of smell is the strongest at triggering a memory from the past. I couldn't agree more!

I was riding my bike around the neighborhood recently. I was transported to the in the back yard of the home I grew up in. The smell of BBQ filled the air and it reminded me of summer days, swimming all day with my best friend. BBQ kielbasa sausages and taco salad were a summertime dinner favorite. It reminded me of swimming with my best friend from basically sun up to sun down, breaking only long enough to eat and take the requisite 20 minutes for our food to digest.

I was given the dining room hutch, and dining room table and chairs that belonged to my grandmother. I love family heirlooms to begin with. This is extra special because my grandpa told me how much she treasured these items. She worked so hard to earn them when they were first married. They are in my home now and I take good care of them. I love to open the bottom of the hutch because the scent of grandma's house always wafts up and reminds me of the good times we had when I was growing up. I can't really describe the scent, other than "it just smells like Grandma's house!"

It got me thinking and wondering what scents and fragrances will remind my own daughter of "the good old days." I thought it would be good to look into different ways of making our home smell warm and inviting. I like fragrances that bring feelings of general "warm fuzziness," like warm vanilla sugar, lavendar, and sugar cookie. I love candles, but they're not the most practical with little ones running around, pulling themselves up on the furniture!

I had forgotten all about reed diffusers until I came across a site for SabonNYC.com. I felt like a kid in a candy store as I looked around at the home fragrance products, hand made soaps, and bath bombs (another addiction of mine!)

1 comments on "Smells of Summer & Grandma's House"

Calley Forrester on June 26, 2009 at 9:46 PM said...

For me, whenever my nose touches the scent of honey, it reminds me of when my cousin poured it all over my head when I was younger.

.... let's just say it brings back memories. aaaaaaaaaah, my pooooor hair!!! I know of Sabon though. They are near where I live here downtown. they just released their new organic bath and body product That's actually how I found your post. Can be a bit pricey though. They did give out free samples when I last entered their soho store.

Anyway, for me bbq brings me back to the cooking too .... but me it was in central park. yup, food ;) The smell of grass is joined with it too. Good times

 

My Blog List

Disclosure

This policy is valid from 15 December 2009


This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. For questions about this blog, please contact sara looker at gmail dot com.


This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

This blog abides by word of mouth marketing standards. We believe in honesty of relationship, opinion and identity. The compensation received may influence the advertising content, topics or posts made in this blog. That content, advertising space or post will be clearly identified as paid or sponsored content.

The owner(s) of this blog is compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. Even though the owner(s) of this blog receives compensation for our posts or advertisements, we always give our honest opinions, findings, beliefs, or experiences on those topics or products. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the bloggers' own. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider or party in question.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.


To get your own policy, go to http://www.disclosurepolicy.org

Welcome

A Busy Shopaholic Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez